Access to Residential Care

The Australian Government pays for the bulk of aged care in Australia, but as with all aged care services, you may be asked by your service provider to contribute to the cost of your care. 

The actual fees you will pay in an aged care home will depend on the assessment of your income and assets by the Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or the Department of Veterans' Affairs. You will need to have an assessment completed shortly before or upon entering care. If you do not complete this assessment, you may be asked to pay the maximum fees and charges.

You may be asked to pay the following fees in residential care:

A basic daily fee:  This covers living costs such as meals, power and laundry. For some people this is the only fee they are required to pay.

A means-tested care fee:  This is an additional contribution towards the cost of care that some people may be required to pay. The Department of Human Services (Centrelink) will work out if you are required to pay this fee based on an assessment of your income and assets and will advise you of the amount.

An accommodation payment:  This is for your accommodation in the home. Some people will have their accommodation costs met in full or part by the Australian Government, while others will need to pay the accommodation price agreed with the aged care home. The Department of Human Services (Centrelink) will advise you of which applies to you based on an assessment of your income and assets.

Individuals thought to be requiring residential aged care services must be assessed and approved by an Aged Care Assessment Team. In our region, this service is provided by Sunraysia Community Health Services.

Referral for assessment can be by self referral, by a family member or carer, or by a healthcare professional e.g.: a General Practitioner or hospital staff. Please follow the links below for contact details:

All referrals/requests for an aged care assessment by the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) are made via the My Aged Care website:

Alternately, if you wish to talk with My Aged Care you can call then directly on 1800 200 422.

Further information regarding the access process for residential aged care can be found by following the link to documents on the My Aged Care Website:



Back to top